Level 3 Guaranteed and Viable Curriculum Summary
“At level 3, school leaders ensure that a guaranteed and viable curriculum (DuFour & Marzano, 2011; Marzano, 2003b) focused on enhancing student learning is in place. This approach ensures that every student has the opportunity to learn the grade- and subject-appropriate content on which they will be assessed.”
Level 3 has six leading indicators that include:
- The school curriculum and assessments follow the state standards.
- The school curriculum is focused and can be addressed within the school year.
- All students have the opportunity to learn the priority standards that support overarching competencies.
- There are clear and measurable goals focused on critical needs to improve the overall student achievement of the school.
- Data are analyzed, interpreted, and used to regularly monitor progress towards school achievement goals
- When data indicates interventions are needed, school and classroom programs and practices are put into place to support students’ individual achievement goals
Source: Marzano, R. J., Phil Warrik, and Julia A. Simms. A Handbook for High Reliability Schools: The Next Step in School Reform. Marzano Research, 2014.