Level 1 Safe, Supportive and Collaborative Culture Summary
“Level 1 addresses the factors considered foundational to the well-being of a school. Namely, do faculty, staff, students, parents, and the community feel that the school is safe and maximizes collaboration for the enhancement of student learning?”
Level 1 has eight leading indicators that include:
- Faculty and staff perceive the school environment as safe and orderly.
- Students, parents, and community perceive the school environment as safe and orderly.
- Teachers are given formal roles in the decision-making process for school initiatives.
- Teachers and staff work collaboratively to address common issues regarding curriculum, assessment, instruction, and academic success of all students.
- Faculty and staff have formal ways to give input regarding optimal operations of the school.
- Parents, students and community members have formal ways to give input regarding optimal operations of the school.
- Success of the school as a whole as well as individuals within the school, is appropriately recognized.
- Management of fiscal, operational, and technological resources directly supports teachers.
Source: Marzano, R. J., Phil Warrik, and Julia A. Simms. A Handbook for High Reliability Schools: The Next Step in School Reform. Marzano Research, 2014.