Special Programs » Section 504

Section 504

What is Section §504?
Section §504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, is a federal civil rights statute which protects the rights of persons with disabilities. Section §504 prohibits discrimination against disabled persons, including both students and staff members by school districts receiving federal financial assistance. Included in the U.S. Department of Education regulations for Section §504 is the requirement that disabled students be provided with Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE). These regulations require identification, evaluation, the provision of appropriate services, and procedural safeguards. 

Who is eligible for services?
An eligible student is a student who:

  1. has a record of having, or
  2. is regarded as having, a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits a major life activity such as learning.

Who is considered to have a disability?
A person is considered to have a disability under Section §504 if he/she meets one or more of the following criteria:

  1. has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities. 
  2. has a record or history of such an impairment
  3. is regarded as having such an impairment

What are "major life activities" for purposes of coverage of students under Section §504?
Major life activities include walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, working, caring for oneself and performing manual tasks. The disability must substantially limit learning activities for the student to be eligible for Section §504 educational services (34 CFR § 104.3(1)). This activity need not be related to learning to come under the protection of Section §504. The determination of whether an impairment is "substantially limiting" must be made on a case-by-case basis by the Section §504 Review Committee. The nature, severity, duration, and permanence of the impairment should be taken into consideration.

Child Find Quick Guide

NYOS Child Find


For more information regarding Section §504, please reach out to:

Cristina Rocha

District Section §504, Dyslexia, MTSS, and Testing Coordinator

[email protected]

512-583-6967 x 3403

Receiving a Document through the Frontline Parent Portal

Dear parents of students in special education and Section §504,

Your child’s school now has the ability to allow you to access your child’s special education and Section §504 documents through our secure eSped Parent Portal.

When your child’s school shares a document with you, such as a progress report, annual ARD, or 504 plan, you will receive an email.

Emails will come from [email protected] with the subject line "Documents Shared by <Your Campus Name>".

You will log into eSped to view the documents by clicking on the "Review" button next to each document to open them within the browser window. 

Getting Started

Parents will receive 2 separate emails the first time a document is shared. The first email contains the parent user name and the second email contains the temporary password. Parents may change their password after initially signing in to their account. A link to the eSped Parent Portal is included in both emails.  Click here for the Frontline/eSped Login.


Below are frequently asked questions related to the Parent Portal. If you cannot find an answer to an issue here please contact your child’s case manager for Special Education, or email [email protected] for Section 504.

  1. I cannot see the documents in my browser.

This could be an error with your computer's PDF reader. Your PDF reader may need to be reinstalled or updated. If you can, try to access the documents from another computer or device.

  1. I can't log in.

When you receive your first email and document through the Parent Portal you will need to reset your password. Choose the 'Forgot your password?' link on the login screen and follow the directions to reset/create a password. 

  1. What do I do if my email address has changed?

First, contact your student's campus and update your information with the registrar. Secondly, contact your student's case manager or the Frontline administrator to request an update of email address.