Not Your Ordinary School (NYOS) has been an active charter school since 1998. We currently serve grades PK-12. NYOS uses a lottery based enrollment system. Every student has an equal opportunity to enroll at NYOS by filling out an application.
In March of every year, NYOS compiles their waiting list for the next school year. The application deadline for the 2019-2020 lottery is Tuesday, March 5th, 2019. Applications are randomly selected for each opening at each grade level and are numbered in the order they are drawn. Each year your spot on the waiting list will change. For example, the first year you might be student number twenty-three and then the next year be student number four. We ask that prospective parents renew their application every two years with updated information; we only hold applications on file for two years then discard them.
We also base our enrollment according to priority for the children of full-time NYOS staff members or the siblings of current NYOS students. For example, if a student has a brother or sister at either one of the NYOS campuses or if a student is the child of a staff member and would like to be admitted to NYOS they will receive priority over a new student. If no siblings/staff children are currently on the waiting list the administration will notify the next student in line of the opening.
If you receive an offer to NYOS Charter School and would like to schedule a shadowing opportunity, please note that this can be scheduled through mid-April, before standardized testing preparations begin.
NYOS has two campuses in North Austin: a PreK-3rd grade campus on Kramer Lane and a 4th-12th grade campus at North Lamar Blvd and Yager. Our preschool program is a federally funded program for three and four year olds who meet eligibility requirements. You can read more about our preschool qualifications here:
Eligibility for Prekindergarten
A district is required to offer a prekindergarten program if they identify 15 or more eligible children who are at least four years of age by September 1st of the current school year. A district may offer (but is not required) a three-year-old program to eligible children who are at least three years of age by September 1st of the current school year. Additionally, all prekindergarten students must meet at least one of the criteria listed below:
- Be unable to speak and comprehend the English language
- Be educationally disadvantaged, which means a student eligible to participate in the national free or reduced-price lunch program
- Be homeless, as defined by 42 United States Code (U.S.C.) Section 1143a, regardless of the residence of the child, of either parent of the child, or of the child's guardian or other person having lawful control of the child
- Be the child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who is ordered to active duty by proper authority;
- Be the child of a member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who was injured or killed while serving on active duty;
- Be in, or have been in, the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) following an adversary hearing held as provided by Section 262.201, Family Code;
- Be the child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas Award as a peace officer (3106.002), firefighter (3106.003), or emergency medical first responder (3106.004).
You can download a student application here: (Requires free Adobe Reader.
NYOS Charter School does not discriminate in the admissions process based on race, color, or national origin; sex, gender, or gender identity; sexual orientation; religion; or disability, or relationship or association with an individual with a disability; academic ability, artistic ability, athletic ability or the school district that the child would otherwise attend under state law; or any other basis protected by law in the educational program or activity which it operates. NYOS Charter School’s Title IX and Section 504/ADA Coordinator can be contacted at (512) 583-6967.